National League

Mar 24 2024

Moy Tolka Rovers stun Limerick Celtics in playoff quarter-finals while Limerick Sport Huskies reach last four of League Trophy

Moy Tolka Rovers stunned Limerick Celtics after they recorded a thrilling 101-100 road win over the South Conference winners on Saturday to reach the last four of the Division One playoffs, while Limerick Sport Huskies survived a fourth quarter fight-back by Templeogue to win out 69-60 in Nord Anglia International School and reach the semi-finals of the Division One League Trophy. 

Moy Tolka Rovers pulled off the big surprise of the Division One playoff quarter-finals as they held on to edge South Conference winners, Limerick Celtics 101-100 in Crescent College.

A combined 48 points and 26 rebounds from Dewan White and Jaja Davis proved key in seeing the Dubliners turn a seven-point deficit at the end of the first quarter into a six-point advantage by the start of the fourth.

Da’kquan Davis put up a colossal 47 points for the homeside, of which 12 came during their surge in the final period.

But even his contribution was not enough to prevent Limerick exiting this season’s competition, as Elijah Faapito also made a big impact for Tolka with 20 points and eight rebounds to help secure his side a date with Limerick Sport Eagles in the semi-finals.

“It was a very demanding game for us, but this thrilling win means a lot and will boost us ahead of the semi-final” said Moy Tolka Rovers head coach, Hunor Harkai.

“We played as a team in offence and defence, and we showed strong character during the whole game.

“When we’re playing like this and the whole team is fighting with enthusiasm, then I have no complaints” he smiled.

SETU Carlow weathered a second-half surge by Drogheda Wolves to win out 101-95 and secure themselves a berth in the last four of the playoffs in Barrow Centre on Saturday.

Michael Wallace and Xabier Arriaga each put up 25 points and combined for 15 rebounds in a game that saw the homeside boast a 21-point lead with just under two minutes played in the third quarter.

But, inspired by Justin Copman, Francisco Dias and Tiago Pereira, who totalled 64, Drogheda  managed to haul themselves back on to level terms with just under a minute to go.

But Carlow demonstrated great resolve to edge back in front over the closing seconds, as Wallace put up a crucial deuce before Lawrence Summers drained all of his four attempts from the free-throw line.

North Conference table toppers, UCD Marian secured further passage to the semi-finals thanks in no small measure to the 35 points that Jonathan Jean put up for them as they beat Scotts Lakers Killarney 96-81 in Oatlands College.

Sasha French and Paraic Moran each weighed in with 11, while Tobias Christensen mopped up as many rebounds and carded seven assists to help counter the big stats of Killarney pair, Braden Bell and Leondre Washington who amassed 50 points and 15 rebounds on the night.

Limerick Sport Eagles broke the hearts of Kavanagh’s Portlaoise Panthers as they fought back from eight points down late in the third quarter to clinch a nailbiting 80-78 victory in St. Mary’s Hall.

Two converted free throws by Kerry Richardson had nudged the homeside in front by a point with just 17 seconds remaining, but there was still time for Jason Killeen to do the very same at the other end of the court for Limerick, subsequently pinching it at the death for the visitors.

Sam Finley emerged the game’s top scorer on 26, while his Limerick team mate Kealan Coats put up 22 to help counter the 43 for with Portlaoise pair, Richardson and Liam Kinsella combined.


In the last of the Division One League Trophy quarter-finals, Limerick Sport Huskies weathered a huge fourth-quarter revival by Templeogue to win out 69-60 in Nord Anglia International School.

A combined 47 points and 21 rebounds for Scout Frame and Ashling McGann helped see the visitors take the opening three quarters and lead by 24 points heading into the fourth.

Templeogue, however, were not about to leave it at that, and a combined 14 down the stretch from Lynn Tunnah and Madeline Holland on their way to a game total of 36, saw the hosts recoup 15 points, but it was not enough to fully remediate the damage they had sustained earlier in the tie.

Orlaith Woods and Ashley Harte were also very strong under the boards as they soaked up a total of 22 rebounds for Limerick, who have now secured a semi-final date with Division One champions St. Paul’s Killarney.

“I’m extremely happy with our win against Templeogue” said Trevor Moore, Limerick Sport Huskies head coach.

“They’re a very well-balanced team and always a tough match-up, but our girls came out firing early and shot the ball very well.

“It was our defensive effort that made the big difference on the night, and we’re now looking forward to our semi-final clash with St. Paul's” he added.

Results Division One (Playoff Quarter-Finals)

Saturday March 23rd

SETU Carlow 101 - 95 Drogheda Wolves

UCD Marian 96 - 81 Scotts Lakers Killarney

Limerick Celtics 100 - 101 Moy Tolka Rovers

Kavanagh’s Portlaoise Panthers 78 - 80 Limerick Sport Eagles Division One League Trophy (Quarter Final)

Saturday March 23rd

Templeogue 60 - 69 Limerick Sport Huskies