This progress is in line with the Strategic plan 2015-2025 of Basketball Ireland’s Board of Directors, and it has now established the Nominations Committee in keeping with the requirements of the new constitution.
The Nominations Committee are now seeking two candidates for roles as Independent Chairs of two separate Management Committees, which will be approved by the Board of Directors. The roles are:
- Chair of NLMC (National League Management Committee)
- Chair of COSMC (Clubs, Official & Schools Management Committee)
Basketball Ireland has close to 30,000 registered players across 300 clubs and schools, with over 300,000 people connected in some way to the sport throughout Ireland.
We are seeking two exceptional candidates that shall have the necessary management qualities and leadership skills to chair meetings of the two strategically important Management Committees outlined above.
An Independent Chair is defined as a person who has not held an officer post or an executive member post in a constituent body in the two years prior to being nominated. Each chair will serve for a term of 3 years, with a maximum of 2 terms being served.
Terms of reference for each Management Committee will include, but are not limited to - details of requirements for operational plans; working relationships with the Board; reporting between the Board, Management Committees, the Constituent Bodies and sport sub-committees. These will be determined by the Board in consultation with each Management Committee.
- Optimise cohesion in planning and policy across all Constituent Bodies and committees which have national and strategic responsibilities for competitions, officiating, international participation, development of playing, coaching and officiating standards.
- Co-ordinate and support the activities of the Constituent Bodies and other sport sub-committees.
- Advise, support and update the Board on the promotion, development and implementation of policies and plans consistent with the objectives set down in the Constitution.
The National League Management Committee shall be comprised of two Independent members appointed by the Board (including the chairperson), and one individual representing each of the MNCC, WNLC, NLOC and NBCC.
The Clubs, Official & Schools Management Committee shall be comprised of two Independent members appointed by the Board (including the chairperson) and one individual representing each of the PSMNC, PPSC, NABC, NRC, CTOC and NCA.
As part of the organisational review, the members has also approved a Coordinating Group (COG) with the objective to optimise cohesion in planning and policy across all Constituent Bodies and committees. The Coordinating Group shall be comprised of: the Independent chair of COSMC, the Independent chair of NLMC, the Chair of the Board of Basketball Ireland, and the President of the Association.
- Comprehensive induction and training when you join
- Opportunities to positively impact a sport and the health and wellbeing of people in Ireland
- The chance to leave a lasting legacy for future generations
- Opportunities to upskill and network, furthering your own career aspirations
- The chance to shape and direct strategy
- Opportunities to learn about the sport industry, governance and not for profit sector
As an Independent Chair of a Management Committee you will be involved in 4-6 meetings throughout the year.
The meetings will be a combination of online and in-person. There is an expectation that you will prepare a report and attend Board meetings as and when required, as well as the company AGM. There may also be other meetings/events where attendance is necessary, such as strategic plan review and planning meetings.
A CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role should be emailed to Basketball Ireland's Nominations Committee at NC@basketballireland.ie. Deadline: 10th September
MNCC - Men's National Competition Committee
WNLC - Women's National League Committee
NLOC - National League Officials Committee
NBCC - National Basketball Colleges Committee
PSMNC - Primary Schools Mini-Basketball National Committee
PPSC - Post Primary Schools Committee
NABC - National Area Boards Committee
NRC - National Referees Committee
CTOC - Commissioners & Table Officials Committee
NCA - National Coaches Association