Aug 04 2022
Women's National Intermediate League being created for the 2022/23 season
The Women's National League Committee and Basketball Ireland are introducing a new Women’s National Intermediate League for the coming season 2022-23.
This league will consist of teams who have a future interest in applying for Division 1 of the National League and also for existing National League Clubs who have competitive teams playing at local league level.
The league will be structured as follows –
- 20 Teams – 4 Groups of 5 Teams. Each team plays the other team in their group once. Teams will have 2 home and 2 away games within group.
- Groups will be comprised of teams on a regional basis to keep down travel costs.
- Home teams are responsible for Court Hire, Table Official fees and any other match day costs.
- Referees will be arranged by BI and charged to clubs through the Referee Equalisation Fund.
- Top 2 teams go through to Quarter Finals
- 3rd & 4th placed teams will go through to Plate Quarter Finals
- 5th Placed teams eliminated after group phase
- To be eligible to play in the league, players with the exception of players who are eligible to play U20 and age groups below, cannot hold a current SL or NL licence.
- Players must have reached their 16th birthday to be eligible to play in this league.
- Players must have played in Ireland in the 2021-22 season to be eligible. Foreign players cannot be brought in specifically to play in this league.
- There is no automatic promotion to National League D1 for league winner. Teams can apply the following season for Division 1 and performance in this league will be taken into account by the WNLC.
- Entry fee is €100 and is non-refundable.
- Bond is €100 and will be returned at the end of the season. If a team applies for the league and pulls out after fixtures are made or does not complete the league they will forfeit the entry fee and bond.
- To enter, email National League Manager John Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than 5pm Monday Aug 22nd. League will be from November to end of March.